Meals on Wheels of Denton County
Since 1974, nonprofit Span, Inc. has enabled people in Denton County to live as fully and independently as possible by providing nutrition, transportation and social services to older persons, those with disabilities, veterans, and the general public.
Span’s main areas of programming include senior nutrition and public transportation (see www.spandentoncounty.org).
Last year we provided:
1. Hot, nutritious noon meals delivered to homebound seniors and persons with disabilities
Delivering more than 76,000 meals each year
Home delivery permits volunteers to check on the well-being of those who are homebound
2. Congregate (group) lunches at six senior centers throughout Denton County
Serve an additional 13,200 meals annually
Added benefit of socialization for our seniors
3. Nutrition education — an important service of both meals programs
4. Monthly pet food to homebound clients who can’t afford it and might otherwise share their home-delivered meals with their pets through our Senior Paws program.
5. Span Denton County provides transit services, by appointment, for residents of Denton County that live outside of the Denton/Lewisville corridor. All vehicles are equipped with wheelchair lifts. Span drivers are trained to assist individuals who may have mobility impairment or uses assistive devices.
It is the policy of Span Inc. that no person shall, on the grounds of race, religion, color, national origin, sex, age or disability be excluded from participation in, be denied the benefits of, or otherwise be subjected to discrimination under any Span programs or activities.